Maxine Harris, author of Lessons For Nonprofit And Start-Up Leaders, is the reluctant CEO of the book, and is current CEO of Community Connections, a large social service organization operating in Washington, D.C. She is a national expert in clinical practices for treating persons with serious mental illness, substance addiction, homelessness, trauma, domestic violence, and early traumatic loss. She has authored or edited nine books and ten training manuals on these topics and has served as keynote speaker at several national conferences.
Entrepreneurial Role Models:
When business started difficulties overcame:
“The city was often suspicious and closed to newcomers so I think finding a way to introduce ourselves to the available eager but also modest, that was a challenge because we were not coming into a friendly environment that said come on in we want to hear what you have to say, we had to convince people that we were worth listening to”…[Listen for More]
- Where Good Ideas Come from: The Natural History of Innovation Book by Steven Johnson
- Malcolm Gladwell Books
“All autobiography is fiction”
Recommended Online Resources:
- Wikipedia – is a free online encyclopedia, created and edited by volunteers around the world and hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Harvard Business Review – Harvard Business Review is a general management magazine published by Harvard Business Publishing, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Harvard University. HBR is published six times a year and is headquartered in Watertown, Massachusetts.
Best Advice to Other Entrepreneurs:
“A little paranoia is not a bad thing and while I believe in my ideas and throughout my career I have shared my ideas pretty redly with other people and sometimes that’s been great and they’ve taken them and they’ve used them in productive ways and other times I’ve seen people take my idea, distort it a bit and then take credit for it so I think that looking over your shoulder is not a bad thing and not something that you should feel guilty about”…[Listen for More]
More About Maxine Harris:
Neil’s Quote at the Beginning:
“The question for each man to settle is not what he would do if he had means, time, influence and educational advantages, but what he will do with the things he has.” Hamilton Wright Mabie
Other Quotes From the Chat with Maxine Harris:
- “We create ourselves”
- “We have the power to reinvent ourselves”
- “If you can’t make a sharp turn when you need to and change direction I think it’s very hard to be successful, we live in a changing world and we live in a rapidly changing world and if you don’t keep up with that not only are you going to make mistakes but you’re probably going to go the way of the dinosaur”