Joan Sotkin helps entrepreneurs and practitioners experience freedom from struggle personally, professionally, and financially. She is THE expert when it comes to understanding how emotions learned in early childhood can affect a person’s business and financial outcomes. Thousands have benefited from her groundbreaking book Build Your Money Muscles: and her ongoing support programs.
Entrepreneurial Role Models:
When business started difficulties overcame:
“I never did much else, what happened was, in the 1980s I really didn’t know I was starting a business in effect. I’d been in meditation for years and one day I got this message to go buy a pound of tumbled stones and I didn’t know what that meant. My mother used to buy these mineral specimens and give them away as gifts, so I knew there was a store and I got the pound of stones. At first I started using them to buy a bit of food and I just followed that inner direction and it wound up being a tremendously big business. So I didn’t’ have any obstacles to overcome because I was just following that inner direction one step at a time”…[Listen for More]
Childhood Disrupted: How Your Biography Becomes Your Biology, and How You Can Heal Book by Donna Jackson Nakazawa
“Worrying is a waste of time”
Recommended Online Resources:
Evernote : Take notes to a new level with Evernote, the productivity app that keeps your projects, ideas, and inspiration handy across all your digital devices.
Google Drive : Get access to files anywhere through secure cloud storage and file backup for your photos, videos, files and more with Google Drive.
Best Advice to Other Entrepreneurs:
“Don’t worry. Let go of the worry. Whatever you’re doing is fine, whatever you’re learning today is helping you to become who you’re becoming. I don’t see things as good or bad, they just are. If you don’t like what’s going on do something different. But don’t judge yourself, just keep on trucking and know that whatever you’re doing learn from it and move on. It’s really hard to die, just keep going, and when the fear comes up understand that’s not reality, it’s just your amygdale telling you not to change, and you have to learn to control that fear response because it doesn’t accomplish anything”…[Listen for More]
More About Joan Sotkin:
Neil’s Quote at the Beginning:
“Architecture is a result of a process of asking questions and testing them and re-interrogating and changing in a repetitive way.” Thom Mayne
Other Quotes From the Chat with Joan Sotkin:
- “If you don’t know how to manage cash flow it’s going to disappear”
- “If you don’t know where you are financially you cannot make wise financial decisions”
- “The fact I didn’t know how to manage cash flow stopped my journey for a long time”
- “My goal is to tune into the needs of each person I’m talking to”
- “Never try to do anything alone, it just doesn’t makes sense”
- “It’s important to be open to other people’s ideas and not take things personally”
- “You can’t make great decisions when you’re in a state of worry”
- “If you don’t understand what’s going on inside you, you’re going to wind up being afraid of your future, having a lot of financial fear, having shame about your money, acting out things like deprivation to your money. So you have to understand what emotionally is informing your financial decisions”