(Newswire.net — August 23, 2017) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania — Approximately thirteen percent of women and ten percent of men experience depression at some point in their life, however these rates are increased for teens right now. “Twenty percent of teenagers will experience diagnosable depression and about thirty percent of teenagers with depression will develop a drug or alcohol addiction,” explains Sara Makin, the owner of Makin Wellness.
Teenage depression is becoming a growing problem in the Pittsburgh area. Some common symptoms are irritable mood, withdrawal from friends and unexplained physical pains. “Depression is unique for everyone and is expressed differently based on the gender the teen identifies with”. Boys tend to become angry or easily agitated, while girls tend to become more sensitive and expressive of their sorrow.
All hope is not lost, however. There are many solutions to depression. “From Depression to Joy: A Parent’s Guide for Teenage Wellness” explains depression, symptoms and ways of feeling better. “It’s important to address treatment holistically in order to feel better faster”.
Here’s what you can do to help your teen alleviate depression:
- Encourage your teen to spend some time outside. Research shows that spending as few as 30 minutes walking outside daily can make you feel substantially less depressed.
- Reduce or eliminate your processed sugar intake. Grab some fruit or fresh pressed juice when you crave something sweet.
- Quiet your mind and meditate. Use binaural beats (available on YouTube) with headphones, close your eyes and practice “deep belly breathing”.
- Spend time with your teenager. Do a fun activity together of their choosing and validate their emotions when you talk.
- Seek professional help. Makin Wellness has clinical mental health counselors that specialize in helping those who suffer from depression and other mental illnesses.
About 90% of teenagers that committed suicide have a mental health diagnosis, so it is important that they are working with a professional in order to improve. Makin Wellness is Pittsburgh’s first and only evidence based counseling and wellness center; this means that that clients will see growth happen at an exponentially faster rate compared to other treatment modalities that are commonly used.
About Makin Wellness
I am a pre-licensed professional counselor with a Master’s Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. I have over 6 years of experience in the helping field, which consist of work in university, hospitalization, outpatient , school , home and rehab settings. I specialize in clinical mental health counseling and life coaching. My experience includes depression, anxiety, addiction, forensic, family issues, stress and more. My treatment approach includes evidence based and holistic approaches that are individualized to your unique needs. We will work collaboratively together so you can forward
Makin Wellness239 Fourth Avenue
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15222